BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 1, 2009

My model united nations experience




Being a part of the model United Nations has opened my eyes to the many, far reaches of the world, as well as the possibilities of growth. Before I was apart of MUN I had seen the world for what it was but never saw myself capable of doing anything about the issues within it, through the MUN experience I built an understanding and knowledge of the world which will live on with me forever. I gained the ability to say "Yes something can be done", and threw our simulations, debating , and creating resolutions, we had proven that very statement because if we can do it, so can the great leaders of the world that much more power then measly little middle school or high school students. The best parts of this experience were the people we meet and the worlds and cultures we were exposed to, I learned to get out of my shell, and interact with individuals that had the same goals and purposes as me, to make a change.



My model united nations experience help me grow, and process, I had learned to push myself and go beyond what is expected because at the end of the day your voice does matter, but will not be heard unless you speak. Speak for the nations that have no voice, speak for the countries at war and in turmoil, speak for the forces of nature that will one day destroy our planet, Speak for the things that matter because everything has a purpose you just need to open your eyes and see, what the world really is. Model United Nations offers you this gift, this Seeing Eye glass into the mysteries and unspeakable travesties that take place in this world. In a world where we must all be united, joint together to combat issues not just for the people but for the future. That is why model United Nations is such a profound and deep experience because we, the future of tomorrow, are fighting for the sake of yesterday.

MUN is a great stepping stone in getting you prepared for the future, I remember my first MUN conference, and I was frightened, scared, and confused. I felt so out of place and did not know what to do. I had a great opportunity now that I look on it, representing Germany, I would have had a great shot at being a key player in the conference, but as me and my partner struggled to get our voice out there, we were not thinking about any awards or recognition, we just wanted to get out of there alive. In some ways we were intimidated by the caliber of students that were there, I could not image even questioning what they said because they articulated their thoughts and positions so thoroughly that I was stunned silent. I took it as a learning experience, since I was so new to the class and didn’t really know how to articulate my position thoroughly enough into a persuasive argument.



Throughout my MUN experience I grew, I grew as a person, a student, and an individual that is a part of my society. I look at it as a great opportunity I became a much better rounded person, articulating my thoughts and positions as thoroughly and precisely as the individuals around me. As I look back at my first MUN conference, in the United Nations building of 2008, to the most recent one in that very building. The MUN conference of 2009, signified my metamorphosis, my evolution as a human being, I was confident and secure in my abilities and felt at ease in my committees and atmosphere. It is kind of strange and peculiar when I look back on it because now I was different changed by the waves of time and grew into a young adult. I was just a child when I started blinded by the mask of what was sugary and sweet in the world, but then unveiled and presented to the gritty truth of it all. The world is not a perfect place but together we can try to make it better and see it perfectly with all its imperfections, and strive for a better planet, and with a better planet we can be better people.

0 comments: